Sunday, May 17, 2009

Go West, Young Man

I boarded a puddle jumper in Columbia, switched to an MD80 at DFW, and touched down in San Diego to start a new adventure in life on Tuesday. This is my first time being west of Colorado so everything here is new.
My bike had not yet arrived so I borrowed one from my new roommate, Marc and went for a spin down the Pacific Coast. My bike would not arrive 'till Thursday so I spent about 10 hours on the loaner getting to know the coast and the climbs offered in the area. The bike is equipped with vintage Dura Ace 8speed Downtube shifters and a 12-21 block, so it was a quad buster when I went up the 15% grade on Mount Soledad.
Did I mention that there is real climbing out here? How novel that I can embrace my slender build.

Since I am going to be spending a large amount of time on the track I went to the ADT Velodrome today to get certified on the track. ADT is the only world class 'drome in the US with its 250m distance and 45+ degree banking through the turns. It's a cool place; Taylor Phinney, Sarah Hammer, and a host of other riders have won National Championships on the boards there.
I've heard horror stories about the layout of the track and some other things but I wanted to get in and get it over with, and maybe enjoy myself. There were 5 in my cert class, but the one guy left early and missed the meat of the riding. 2 of the people were less experienced so I did most of my riding with this 15 year old kid named Colin; he's strong, smooth, and young and it's great to see kids with talent like that.
My first 5 laps on the actual track were nervous and I may not have breathed, but after a water break and another set of laps on the track I realized I was not going to die (always good when your aspirations involve significant track time). I was able to relax and really start to ride. Our instructor, Andrew, lead us further up the track and then had us do a paceline with Team Pursuit style exchanges. After a bunch of riding Andrew (who was really laid back and funny) ask if Colin and I want to play a game. So we played follow the leader which involved following Andrew all over the track for several minutes; he took us to the rail (+30 feet in the air), dropped us in from the top, climbed the banking, all kinds of crazy stuff. Then he asked if we wanted to do a flying 200. Why not? So I did a flying 200, as I dropped into turn 1 at nearly full gas I felt the gravitational forces pushing me into the track, it was incredible!
By the time we finished, I had put in about 90 solid minutes of ride time, and I have the sore quads to go along. As for the horror stories, I don't know? I loved ADT, I think it's a fun track.

Icing on the cake... Allyson Felix (World Champ in the 200m dash multiple times over, and '08 Olympic Gold medalist 4x400m relay) was at a track meet next to the 'drome and was walking in to get a drink as I was walking out. I said hello, and thought it was pretty cool to have met someone that fast.

No comments: