Sunday, July 5, 2009

Post Nats Thoughts

I'm headed to Manchester England in November to race the Paralympic World Championships. It is going to be harder and the competition will be stiffer. I'm going to have to step up my game in order to be competitive. I do have a lot of technique work that will lead to better times at my current fitness levels so that is encouraging.

In the Kilo I need start work, timing it right out of the gate will net me a little time. Issue number 2 is standing through the turn. Next I need to work on getting to the aerobars quickly so I can stand longer. I need work on holding the black line at speed. Getting that stuff right will earn some free speed. On top of that, more strength will help get that race gear rolling, a higher top-end will drop my overall lap times, and more tolerance for lactic acid will stave off the fade.

In the Pursuit I need the same better timed start, stand through the turn, quick transition to aerobars, and line holding. My biggest time gain will come from pacing. I put on a clinic in how not to pace a Pursuit. On the fitness side I need more threshold power and VO2 max power.

Other little things I can do are taping the helmet vents, losing the gloves, getting a long sleeve skinsuit that fits tighter, not using pins, and riding a front disk.

One variable I cannot control is climate. On Pursuit day there was talk that the track was colder and less humid than it had been in the previous three days which could have cost all racing a few seconds.

Add all of it together on top of 4 more months of solid training and I could go to Manchester and post some better times!

1 comment:

Sam said...

Great Job TTA! Glad to hear you are doing well. Congrats on the Stars and Stripes and good luck at Worlds!