Friday, July 4, 2008

The Aftermath

I know this is late in coming but I think I might go on a blog spree this evening to catch up with what has been happening in my life.

The Aftermath:
Once I had finished my Time Trial and returned to the staging area I had a most unique emotional experience.  I really cannot describe it because it was such a mix of feelings.  I was upset that I did not ride faster, I was happy that all the pressure I had put on myself was gone, I was mad at the altitude (weird, I know), and I did not want to talk to anyone at all.  I begrudgingly made a few phone calls, but I had no desire to be social.  
I went back to the hotel and went to my room to take a nap and a shower.  I felt much better after waking up and went to the hotel lobby to chat with the other racers.  I had not realized it before, but several of the men rode the race of their lives.  In a few cases the stellar efforts were not enough to make the Beijing Team.  The good news is that the US Para Cycling Team looks to have some very very strong riders to take to the various international competitions in 2009 and beyond.  Strong placings will be the key to securing more spots for the 2012 London Paralympics.  There are also a few young, strong riders that should make the team in the next year or 2;  I am hoping to be among them.
The awards dinner that evening was enjoyable, I got to see my friend Greta Neimanas receive her Nation Champion Jersey and Medal.  Greta had told me about and encouraged me to go to the Trials, and I'm very happy I did.  I spoke with the coach of the Para team and asked him what I should do to prepare for next year's race and my goal of being on the team.  What he told me was very simple but has really stuck with me.  He said, "Go home and be a bike racer."  He also told me to go to the team training camp in December.  The instructions to "go home and be a bike racer" have been influential on how I lived my life since I returned home.
The return trip would have been uneventful until Delta decided to charge me $150 to bring my bike home.  

No comments: