Monday, August 18, 2008

2 for Sundays

Since I am self coaching I've been reading the Friel Book on training and looking at my "limiters", those things that limit one's racing abilities.  I'm pretty sure that my biggest limiters are force production and speed.  Speed as in sprinting, spinning is a strength, but I suck at producing raw speed.  Honestly, I do not see myself winning races with a crank-snapping sprint.  Force Production is an area of hope for me.  I think that improving this weakness will provide the biggest racing gains for me from a fitness standpoint.  I can put up some decent numbers in the Deadlift in the gym so I need to translate that into power on the bike.  
Enter Today:  My early workout was 4x6 minute big gear intervals.  I put the bike into the 50-12 and slugged away until time was up.  Didn't feel much at all in the heart or lungs, but my legs were protesting.  This was day 3 in the new aero setup (yes, a compact on a TT bike) and I feel like I'm adapting well and beginning to reach a point were I can comfortablty produce power.
My late workout was in the gym.  I was doing Front Squats and going by feel with weight since i haven't lifted in over 3 months.  115lbs was good for the legs but it killed my wrists so I moved down to 95.  I'm not sure if I'll feel it in my legs in the morning but my wrists and shoulders are pretty tender right now.  
So force production:  The big gear teaches the muscles to push a big gear, eventually I want to be able to spin bigger gears and go faster.  There is nothing like big barbell lifts to teach the muscles and the Nervous System to operate against big loads, now I just have to translate it to the pedals.

No comments: