Friday, August 15, 2008

Tinkering

I've been getting out on the TT bike recently as I have set the State Champ Time Trial on Oct 4th as my priority race for the rest of the year.  I've been a little frustrated because I didn't feel I was getting the full advantages that the aero bars should produce so I started to tinker.  Now, I've been intrigued by the skinny elbow, high hands, body forward position since I saw Levi Leipheimer use it last year.  
2007 Tour de France: Stage 19
Stage13leipheimer
2008 Tour of California
1203752005
Notice how close the elbows are and how his face is near his hands.  His hands are high enough to close the gap  that would exist in his chest cavity.
In contrast, Fabian Cancellara rides with wider elbows, and keeps his hands very low.
cancellara
2007 TdF Prologue
cancellara1

These positions do work for the specific riders but they have vastly different builds as is evidenced by the pictures.  Fabian is 6'1" and weighs 180lbs; Levi is 5'7" and weighs 140lbs.  Levi is benefiting from aero, Fabi is benefiting from power.  As a side note, Fabian won the Olympic Gold, Levi won bronze.
I don't make much power, I'm working with one good leg and one smaller, less powerful leg.  I need all the aero help I can get.  I started looking at my bike and pondered how I could get more aero.  The first thing I did was to slam the elbow pads as narrow as they would go.  Then I angled the whole bar up a little so my hands would be higher.

Previous set-up with flat to slightly downturned bars.
IMG_1875

I went out to Hopkins to ride the new set-up and found that I REALLY liked how aero I was.  I literally felt like I was cheating the wind.  I was very unstable, but a slight outward shift of the left elbow pad fixed this.  The odd bend in my elbow necessitated this.  After I got the position correct I was able to freaking motor.  I am looking forward to training in this position and taking it out to the State Champ TT.  If I ride the 40k, we'll see how I stack up against the other U23s.  If I ride 20k I'll be gunning for a qualification time for next years Paralympic World Champs.

No comments: