Monday, October 20, 2008

Lessons Learned from Running

I realized something over the weekend. When I run I venture into the pain cave with reckless abandon. I'm not afraid of hurting myself because I know I can handle the pain and keep turning my feet over. I seem to be much more timid on the bike when I train solo or consider attacking a group ride or race. I have some self doubts that pop up and ask if I can really go that hard. I think the difference comes from experience; despite never doing any run specific training and only dabbling in races, I have always loved to run. Over the years I have become aware that I can push through the pain and not blow myself up, and when I run I like to run fast (for me, I'm not very fast). Mentally training myself to push hard on the bike for longer at higher effort will be a major priority in building up to and through next year's campaign.

No comments: