Tuesday, March 31, 2009

TNWC: 3/31 Edition

Last week my coach was pleased with my pre-crit intervals so we made a deal. I can do the crit, which is a lot of fun but I get to do intervals beforehand. For the month of April I have 4x5min on the menu before we race. I started out and knew it was going to be tough. I was hitting the wattage numbers but my PE was high. I was hoping I'd feel that tingling in the legs and feel better after that but it never came. The second effort was ok, and the third one just sucked. I wasn't holding any power down the backstretch. I also wasn't able to maintain my normal high rev cadence during the intervals. I had hopes for the crit being better.

The first lap arrived and who is off the front other than Mr. Gimp Shoulder Rich. After his crash on Saturday's Monumental 110 miler I wasn't expecting that. A few guys bridged and I decided to close the gap solo. I could not do it, I got to within a few seconds but I still felt crappy. Fortunatly I found my spin and I ended up doing ok during the crit. I wasn't playing at the front like last week, but I spent a good bit of time there. I went with a few moves, but nothing was sticking.

I tried an attack at one point, but no-one went with. I just don't command enough respect to draw people with me yet. I knew I was not going to last long if I just tried to ride at FTP so I sat up.

The power data is really close to last week and the speed was a good bit higher (I've got 25.65 after the neutral lap). I guess that if I can do that on a day where I just feel like crap then I'm not doing too bad.

1 comment:

GW said...

Hey Man,
I've got room on Sunday if you want to ride along. Email me at gordon_whittaker@ml.com.