Friday, December 5, 2008

Why the Individual Pursuit is My Focus for 2009

By this time it is pretty well established that I am planning to move to Colorado Springs after I graduate to be near the Paracycling program, the OTC, the 7-eleven Velodrome, and Colorado Mountains. I've given some consideration to which of the 3 qualifying events I want to make my focus and I have settled on the Individual Pursuit. The following is my rationalization for choosing to make the Individual Pursuit my focus at next years Para Nationals; not that I need to rationalize it to anyone else. I do have to rationalize to myself since I have that habit of overthinking just about everything.

The Team Sprint and Road Races are not qualifying events so that leaves the 3 Time Trials.

Kilo: One Kilometer on the Track, the Kilo is a really long standing start sprint. The Kilo is a bit of an odd event stuck somewhere between sprints and endurance events, and it doesn't have the greatest crossover to longer races. I'm not exactly known for my massive sprint and I like enduro races.

Road Time Trial: Yes, being able to TT is very valuable but it does not appeal to me as a primary discipline.

Individual Pursuit: 3 Kilometers of pure pain, but it's over in less than 4 minutes. That sounds about perfect to me. The best Pursuiters are Road Racers that do specific pursuit work leading up to big events because the best way to pursuit is build a big huge aerobic engine and tune it up with some big power for a race. With IP I can train and race on the road until I head to Colo Springs where I can touch up my 4 minute power and start learning to pace myself. The base I will have built will lend itself to the road TT and having a lot of 4 minute power may result in a decent Kilo time. Besides my love for the Velodrome the Pursuit is a race I can train for on the road while the specific preparation will have some overlap to my other events. Is it spring yet?