Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Watts and W/Kg

I had been a bit reluctant to post up the results of the power tests I did last week because I had all these numbers and no comparision for them other than the Power Profile chart Andy Coggan drew up.
powerprofile

This is where my numbers fall on that chart.
power

The chart is nice but didn't tell me much about where I stack up against other racers in the CP4 classification. Craig, from US Para, emailed me back this morning and said that my endurance numbers look good but I need to be pushing about about 4.5 W/Kg in order to be competitve on the road internationally. I also need to be at that level to begin to have enough motor for the Pursuit. So in terms of numbers, I need to take my 20 minute power from 255 Watts to 280 Watts or a 10% increase by the time Nationals roll around in July. My 5 second and 1 minute power numbers aren't so rosy, Craig said I should be pushing an extra 2-3 W per Kg to have the speed I'll need on the track. I have a feeling that 5 second power is going to be the hardest for me to push up. I think that raising my 1 minute power will be the direct result of hard, intense racing coupled with a proper peak, whether or not it approaches 620W (10 W/Kg) this season or in some future season remains to be seen.

No comments: