Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Weekend Part 1: State Champ Road Race

I did enough this weekend to warrant a whole bunch of separate entries, so here's the first.

I got to Greenville Friday without too much trouble, I had Jim's kids with me but Caroline was well behaved.  I got to Rick and Gail's place and went for a little spin on the trainer to loosen up.  Dinner was pasta and chicken.  I settled in for some Tour of Ireland action before turning in.  Cavendish won the stage going away, again.  Amazing, but his bitterness over the Olympic Madison is off-putting.  I ended up in bed about 10:30 and didn't have to be up 'till 7!  I loved not waking up at 5am for a race.  I was a bundle of nerves trying to go to sleep, I have no idea why I get so freaked out the night before a race.  I wish I would just fall asleep.
So they sent us off at 11 and it was hot and humid.  We did 3 laps of the 15 mile course for 45 miles. I just sat in the middle of the field for most of the race which was a little packed with 60-70 riders starting.  A few flyers went, but nothing serious.  I started working my way forward early in the last lap and made it to about 10th before getting swarmed and failing to hold my spot.  I wasn't feeling very good the whole race so I didn't put up a fight.  I just sat there rolling along.  The final stretch was pure mayhem.  2 separate crashes claimed a number of riders and I rolled in 23rd and disappointed.  I sucked that day.  

Casey Gail finished 2nd/1st SC in the W1/2/3 race.
Rodney, Phillip Hare, Rob K, and Eric Cash raced the 4s with me.  
Lad Lumpkin finished 2nd/1st SC in the 35-39 race and Jay Charles was 6th/2nd SC.
Don finished 10th in the 50+ race.
Anna from the Sippy Cups (City of Forest Acres Jr Team) was 10th in the W4 race.
A whole bunch of local guys started the 1/2/3 race, but it was brutal.
Other local people raced, but I can remember the particulars.

No comments: