Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Weekend Part 2: Ceasar's Head

Sunday was shaping up to be a long day with a 7:30am start to the festivities (meaning my non-morning person self was away at 6am).  A group of 30 rolled out of Furman U. towards Ceasar's Head including Rick, Gail, Jim, and John Lockwood who will be doing his first Ironman next weekend in Wisconsin.  It's 22 rolling-to-lightly-hilly miles from Furman to Ceasar's and we were moving at a leisurely pace.  It was no problem for me because I was still feeling the race from the day before.
I came to realize that a really really hate partial zip jerseys.  I was wear a 3/4 zip and was taking a leak at the base of Ceasar's Head.  That requires the jersey to come over my head so i can get my bib straps pulled down.  My helmet had to come off as well.  The group had become strung out and was regrouping as I was trying to pull my jersey onto my sweaty, sticky body.  It's a tight fit, and as I'm wriggling around the group up and leaves.  I was 200 meters back already so I tried to catch up, then I realized we were going up a mountain and I would have to ride at my pace to survive.  Ceasar's Head is 6.2 miles from top to bottom, it doesn't mess around.  I have no idea how long it took me but I loved it!  It hurt, but there is something about climbing, real climbing, that I eat up.  The return trip was on the painful side; my quads were feeling all sorts of beaten to a pulp, and Greenville isn't flat.  We were going to ride up Paris Mountain, but having rode 57 miles by the time Furman arrived made the decision to skip Paris an easy one.  

I love climbing.

No comments: