Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Weekend Part 3: The Pro Race

After 3 hours in the saddle we were all ready to clean up and eat, so showers were had and we ate some burritos.  Tasty.  Downtown Greenville was HOT and a little crowded, I was excited to see a crowd gather for a bike race in SC!  Garmin-Chipotle was well represented in the race with 14 riders, one of whom won the National Champ Time Trial the day before.  Big shout out to Dave Zabriskie on that victory.  I also need to apologize, but that's for "Part 4".  The hometown hero was also racing, George Hincapie has become a local legend in Greenville since he lives there.  
Those guys are fast.  Wow, is all I can say.  
I saw Casey and Rob while I was sitting on the sidewalk, that was cool.  She's really fast, I'm kinda jealous.
I had to climb a tree to get a good view of the finish, but it was worth it.  I saw Tyler Hamilton of Rock Racing with a national title at the age of 37!  The year of the old athlete?  Garmin had 3 riders in the final break of 5 and managed 2nd.  I have to admit being a little surprised they didn't take the jersey.

No comments: