Thursday, September 11, 2008

Silly Season

It is upon us.  In the pro ranks you have teams dissolving, riders switching teams, new sponsors, bike manus switching teams, lots of juicy gossip for us crazy bike fans to talk about.

There is, apparently, a local silly season as well.  The future of my current team seems to be unknown.  I can't go into detail because I don't know a lot and I don't feel like turning the rumor wheel.  So who will I be riding for next year?  I could potentially race unattached, but I think I would prefer to ride with a team.  

In any case I feel I should increase my stock so I could prove to be a valuable asset to whatever team I ride for, or to get picked up by by a team if I'm riding unattached.  

Here's a question.  Weight?  I'm up a few pounds from my season low of 131 to 133-135.  I was pretty gaunt but I didn't feel like eating, something to do with heat and probably mild burnout.  I will gain weight some as my mileage decreases during early base, but I am pretty good at controling it through diet (it's easy if you know what you are doing and have discipline).  I could maintain or I could break 140 for the first time in my life.  The added weight and power would help in TTs (my ticket onto the Paralympic Team), crits, the flatish races around the region, and my fantasies of being a Pursuit Racer.  Maintaining weight goes along with my fantasies of being a climber, but there are no hilly races in this area.  I guess climbing is just the romantic side of cycling.  The logical path is to gain weight as my aggregate gain will be higher.  And I'm just rambling by now.  I just need to come out of the offseason strong and ready to get stronger as the season moves along.

No comments: