Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Busta Lung

Armed with the PowerTap and warm weather I started the short stuff in earnest this week.
Yesterday I went out to that road that intersects Bluff that the Elon ride goes down (name? I'm in too much oxygen debt by that time to look at road signs). I had 4x5 minutes on the menu and that did not happen. I started out and was feeling like superman, I rode 425W for the first minute and suddenly I was scrambling to hold power. It fell to 375 and I keeled over at 2:15. Ok, so going downhill, even slightly, kills power. Also, that first minute at 425W, held for 3:3x would be close to enough power to put me on the podium at any International Paracycling Track Race. Overshooting much? So I did 3 sorta halfhearted efforts and quit. tsk tsk

Today I set out with resolve, a repeat of yesterday was not going to happen. The pain of the day was to be delivered in 2 parts. Part A was downhill sprints times 5 with nearly full recovery. Wattage was a little sub max, but that may be because of the hill I came flying down? I was starting between 25 and 30mph and managed to hit 35-36. Still not a sprinter, haha.

Part B was more painful. 30 seconds all out, followed by 1:30 rest times 5. Each interval was a little less powerful than the previous and the graph looks like an AT&T wireless commercial.
My best 30 second wattage was 630, so that continues to climb.

Weight, I'm not quite 132 like I thought, but am sitting at 135lbs/61.2kg.

Edit: At my weight, 425W for 3:35 may very well send me to the Olympics. haha

No comments: