Saturday, February 28, 2009

Greenville Spring Series #3

I'm here in Greenville staying with Rick and Gail again. Also here is a Cat1 that Rick is coaching. I came up yesterday to show Evan the way to Paris Mtn for some leg openers. A little more than I'm used to, but the legs felt good. The weather did not. Rain and 50 degrees. So the turnout was small and the 3 and 4 fields were combined for 45miles (3 laps), there were about 50 on the line. I got a decent spot in the second row and we were off. I looked around and knew the guys to watch would be the Hincapie Barkley, and Barley's teams. I stayed close to the front and tryed to stay out of the wind, pulling through when my time came but making my pulls reasonable. There was an attack about 10 miles in that I went with, the counter was pretty hard and I drifted back a bit. By this time the field was being thinned out rapidly. I had worked my way back near the front when we went around a turn 5 miles into lap 2. I pulled on the breaks and had very little stopping power. I rolled into a parking lot to get out of the way since it was that or ride into some poor guy's wheel. I told the motor official I was dropping out, and rode 50 feet behind the pack for a few miles before a sag picked me up. It turns out the road grime chewed my brake pads up. I would love to have finished that race because I was doing well, but I guess we all have to have a mechanical sometimes. Yes, I am racing tomorrow. It will be 40 degrees, rain, and wind, fun times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you end up riding in today's weather? It is snowing already.

Aaron Trent said...

Next post up. No race.