Sunday, February 22, 2009

Race Weekend #1

I'm sitting here, and I hardly feel like writing this. I've played these races in my head multiple times, reviewed the power files and sent the gritty details to my coach. It just sucks.

First things, fitness is not my problem. I just made dumb mistakes.

Race 1: I was at the front during the first 2 laps. I allowed myself to move too far back in the pack and spent most of the race trying, and failing to move up. It's hard to move up when you are stacked 4-5 wide all race. The one positive I took away is that my comfort in a pack has improved markedly since last year. I'm guessing the mountain bike helped out there.
Anyways, I got a pack finish.

Race 2: Quite possibly the suckiest race I have ever done. It even beats out the 60 miler I did in July, in Ga, in 100* weather. It was mid-40s with massive massive wind. I got spit of the back in 10 minutes, and it was my own dumb fault. I was 4th at the top of the biggest hill (roller) that was on the course when the 3 guys in front rolled away from the group, sweet. Except that we turned into a crosswind and I fell off the wheel. When the pack caught me I let them pass on the side that left me to be pummelled by the crosswind. I lost contact, the end, I sucked.

I'm looking to be just a hair smarter next weekend.

No comments: